- Read: Matthew 22:34-40; 23:1-36
- In This Passage: The Pharisees often try to trick Jesus into saying something wrong. In this story, they try to trick him by asking him what the most important commandment is. Jesus gives a great answer and then talks about how hypocritical they are. He calls them “whitewashed tombs”—beautiful on the outside but dead on the inside. Jesus doesn’t want us to pretend to love him by how we act. He wants us to genuinely love him.
- Bible Point: Jesus doesn’t want us to pretend to love him.
- Summary Verse: “But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12).
- Jesus doesn’t want us to pretend to love him. Kids usually know the “right” answer. Help kids see that talk—or even actions—isn’t what loving Jesus is all about. He wants us to genuinely love him from the inside out.
- What does your faith look like on the outside? on the inside?
Dig In to Prayer
- Pray that Jesus will capture your kids’ hearts so their love for him is what motivates their actions.
* DIG IN lesson content copyright © Group Publishing, Inc.