Dig In To the Bible
- Read: Genesis 13
- In This Passage: Abram is Lot’s uncle, and the two live and travel together. But because God has given them so many animals, they need to split up. Abram lets Lot choose which land he wants, and Lot chooses the side that looks better. God is giving, and Abram reflected God’s giving heart by letting Lot have better land.
- Bible Point: God is giving…
- Application: …so we’re giving.
- Summary Verse: “Have you never heard? Have you never understood it? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding” (Isaiah 40:28).
- God is giving. Kids will readily identify with this story but on a smaller scale. They’ve likely had instances of breaking a cookie in half or cutting a piece of cake to share and wanting the bigger piece. Help kids see how Abram gave out of gratitude for all God had given him and trusted that God would continue to provide. Inspire kids to do the same… even if it means choosing the smaller half of a yummy dessert.
- Think About: What has God given you? When have you been blessed by giving to others?
- When you talk about giving with kids, some of them will automatically think of giving away things they don’t want (such as a little brother!). Help kids see God’s generosity in giving away things he valued and that the recipients valued. Help them see how Abram gave away the better land, even though he likely wanted it. Encourage kids to reflect God’s generous heart by giving sacrificially.
Dig In To Prayer
- Pray that God would give your kids generous hearts that reflect Him to the world around them.