Dig In to the Bible
· Read: Exodus 20:4-6; 2 Kings 23:1-20
· In This Passage: After finding and reading God’s law, King Josiah starts taking the worship of the one real God seriously. He goes from place to place in Israel burning and smashing idols and altars. By the time he’s finished, any evidence of worshipping fake gods is gone!
· Bible Point: There’s only one real God.
· Summary Verse: “Jesus replied, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind’ ” (Matthew 22:37).
· There’s only one real God. The Israelites were surrounded by cultures that worshipped fake gods. In those days, gods were generally idols or things from God’s creation. In our culture, kids are inundated with messages that conflict with the truth about the one real God. “What’s true for you is true for you, and what’s true for me is true for me” or “Maybe Jesus is a way to heaven…” Or maybe kids hear that there is no heaven, or that there is a heaven and everyone automatically goes there. Help your kids understand the truth that there’s only one real God.
· Think About: What are some of the most common religious beliefs you’ve heard? How do they stack up against the truth of the one real God?
Dig In to Prayer
· Ask God to give your kids discernment to know when society’s messages are contradictory to his truth.
· While kids do get a lot of different religious messages, there’s a difference between teaching them discernment and teaching them not to be mean. Help your kids see that they can hold on to the truth without bashing people over the head with it. Instead they can seek to love everyone, and through their love they’ll have opportunities to share God’s truth.
* DIG IN lesson content copyright © Group Publishing, Inc.