River Ridge Kids
Dig In to the Bible
· Read: Exodus 20:12; Proverbs 1:8-9; 20:20; 23:22-25; Ephesians 6:1
· In This Passage: God says to honor our parents, and he promises a long life for those who do. We can honor our parents by listening to them, not saying mean things to them, bringing them joy, and obeying them.
· Bible Point: We show love to our parents.
· Summary Verse: “Jesus replied, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind’ ” (Matthew 22:37).
· We show love to our parents. This commandment may be the hardest one for your kids. Kids often don’t understand why their parents have certain rules, and they may think their parents are wrong. Obeying anyway is tough stuff! Help your kids see that whether or not we like their rules, God gave us parents to take care of us, and he calls us to obey and honor them.
· Think About: Think back on your childhood. What were some rules your parents had that you didn’t like? How do you view them differently now?
Dig In to Prayer
· Ask God to bring peace to the families in your ministry.
Does God really expect me to love everyone?
God Helps Us Get Along
“This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. John 15:12
- We are to love our enemies. Luke 6:27-28
- Be tenderhearted and humble toward others. 1 Peter 3:8
- God’s love for us. Roman’s 5:8; Romans 8:38-39; Luke 12:6-7
- Jesus describes love in action. Luke 10:30-35
Pray for your preteens
Love is as much a decision as an emotion. That may be a new thought for your preteens. Ask God to open their hearts- and yours- to the implications of that truth.
* DIG IN lesson content copyright © Group Publishing, Inc.