River Ridge Kids
Dig In to the Bible
· Read: Exodus 20:17; Genesis 37:1-11
· In This Passage: God commands his people not to want other people’s stuff. Joseph’s brothers are jealous because their dad likes Joseph best and gives Joseph a fancy coat. Plus, Joseph brags about dreams in which his brothers bow to him.
· Bible Point: We’re not jealous.
· Summary Verse: “Jesus replied, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind’ ” (Matthew 22:37).
· We’re not jealous. Of all the Ten Commandments, this one describes what feels most like a harmless, inward emotion…not a sin. And yet God gave this commandment because he knew the harm that can come in our own hearts when we’re jealous. Plus, as in the case of Joseph’s brothers, jealousy can lead to breaking other commandments, like lying or hurting others. Use this lesson to show your kids the dangers of jealousy.
· Think About: When have you been really, really jealous? What damage did it cause to your heart? your relationships?
Dig In to Prayer
· Ask God to help your kids be content with what they have.
God Helps You Make Good Choices
There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you.
- Seek God first and you don’t have to worry about your future. (Matthew 6:27, 33-34)
- Trust God and He’ll help you make good decisions in the future. (Proverbs 3:5-6
- Love and oby God and things in your future will work for the good. (Romans 8:28)
Pray for your Preteens. Preteens live in a world where the occult has slid into the general culture, so when you ask kids to avoid it, you’re asking them to live in a wat theta may cause then to stick out. Ask God to give your kids the courage to follow Jesus- no matter what. To obey God- no matter what. And while you’re at it, pray the same for yourself.
* DIG IN lesson content copyright © Group Publishing, Inc.