Unit 1: In the Beginning
God Creates the World (Genesis 1:1-25)
Bible Point: God always loves us.
“And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.” (Ephesians 3:18)
Stop what you’re doing and look outside. Even better, go outside. Look up at the sky. Look down at the ground. Take a deep breath. Notice the little things—the tweets, the crawling critters, the breeze, the sunlight, or maybe even the stars.
Now think about this: God lovingly created this world for you to live in. The breathable air? It’s for you! The rain that falls from the sky? A refreshing gift. God made the world in an orderly and extraordinary way. The Creation story in Genesis 1 shows us God’s power, his goodness, and ultimately his love for his creation—including you and the kids you teach.
Young children are good at noticing and marveling over the little things—dandelions, butterflies, and bubbles! Follow kids’ lead and celebrate God’s little wonders today. They’re all reminders of his great big love that he shows us through creation and ultimately through Jesus!
God, thank you for creating the world. It’s amazing to think that the same God who made the world always loves me. Thank you. I love you, too. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Dig In to the Bible
· Read: 2 Samuel 9
· In This Passage: King David finds Jonathan’s son Mephibosheth. David shows kindness by inviting him to the palace, feeding him a meal, and letting him eat at the palace regularly. God was kind to David, and David passed it on. God is kind, so we’re kind.
· Bible Point: God is kind…
· Application: …so we’re kind.
· Summary Verse: “He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us” (2 Corinthians 1:4).
· Kids often hear the admonition: Be nice. But nice and kind are two different things. Nice is the bare minimum of not being mean. Kind is going out of your way, like David did, to treat another person well. Help kids see how God has shown them kindness and how he can help them pass his kindness on to others.
· Think About: What’s the kindest thing someone has done for you? What did that show you about God?
Dig In to Prayer
· Pray that your kids will go out of their way to be kind to others.
Lesson 1 – If God is my Friend, Why are People Mean to Me?
Bold Bible truth: God helps us get along. (John 15:12)
“Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.” (Romans12:18)
Don’t just tolerate people who are mean to you-love them. (Matthew 5:43-46)
When you’re weak, it helps you rely on Jesus. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
When you run into trouble, it can develop your character. (Romans 5:3-5)