Unit 1: In the Beginning
God Creates People (Genesis 1:26–2:4)
Bible Point: God always loves us.
“And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.” (Ephesians 3:18)
What makes someone special? Looks? Unique qualities? Skills? People are God’s special creation because we’re made in God’s image. [POINT] God always loves us, and his love for us makes us special!
Genesis tells about how God created people in a special way and for a special reason. As God’s image-bearers, we get to show the world what God is like, and we get to love and care for God’s creation. What special jobs!
God, I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. As your image-bearer, please help me show others who you are today. In Jesus’ name, amen.
River Ridge Kids
Lesson 2: God Provides Food for Elijah
· In This Passage: There’s a drought for several years that makes food scarce. But God sends ravens to Elijah to bring him meat and bread twice a day. Elijah also has water to drink from a brook. God is our provider, too.
· Bible Point: God is our provider…
· Application: …so we depend on him.
· Summary Verse: “He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us” (2 Corinthians 1:4).
· God is our provider. Kids may not be used to thinking of God as their provider. The way they get their food may not seem as miraculous to them as a door-to-door raven delivery service. Help your kids see that God provides jobs and money for you parents to buy what they need. Be sensitive to your kids if you are struggling financially. God still provides for you via food banks, clothing giveaways, and other means.
· Think About: Think of a time you worried about whether God would provide what you needed. What happened?
Dig In to Prayer
· Pray that your kids will turn to God with their worries, depending on him to provide for them. Pray specifically for any kids whose families are struggling financially.
Lesson 2 –Which rules in the Bible still apply today?
Bold Bible truth: God helps you make good choices.
“Jesus replied, “you must love the Lord you God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important. “love your neighbor as yourself.” The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)
· Jesus seems to break a biblical rule.
(Luke 13:10 – 14; Deuteronomy 5:12-14
· Examples of biblical laws.
Exodus 20:13; Deuteronomy 20:10-12; Deuteronomy 22:11; Deuteronomy 14:22; Leviticus 11:6-8; Leviticus 14:37-38; Exodus 20:8-9; Leviticus 19:4; Exodus 34:15; Leviticus 19:28; Deueronomy 17:16-17
· Jesus came to accomplish the law.