Unit 3: Good News for Outsiders
Shepherds Hear About Jesus’ Birth (Luke 2:8-20)
Bible Point: Jesus loves everyone.
“So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.” (John 13:34)
Shepherds spend a lot of time with sheep. It was true in Bible times, and it’s true in places around the world today. They don’t usually spend a lot of time around angels. That’s where the surprise comes in! Even though their nomadic way of life left them on the outside of more settled society, shepherds were the first to hear of Jesus’ birth.
Even if it’s not Christmas, the story of shepherds hearing about Jesus is a wonderful example of Jesus’ love for everyone—any time of the year!
God, thank you for sending Jesus to show us your love. Your love isn’t exclusive or dependent on who I am or what I do. Please help me as I care for my child today. In Jesus’ name, amen.
River Ridge Kids
Dig In to the Bible
· Read: Nehemiah 1–2
Classroom: RR Kid Elementary
· In This Passage: Nehemiah is in exile in another country when he hears that the wall around Jerusalem is in ruins. He is devastated and cries out to God for help. God is faithful to provide Nehemiah with all the supplies, protection, and courage he needs to rebuild the wall. Nehemiah is faithful to do what God has called him to do.
· Bible Point: God is faithful…
· Application: …so we’re faithful.
· Summary Verse: “For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?” (Isaiah 43:19).
· God is faithful. A lot of kids are still learning what it means to be faithful to God. (Aren’t we all?) They may compartmentalize God to the part of their lives when they’re at church. Help your kids see that God is faithful to them all through their week, in all they do, and he wants them to be faithful to him in return.
· Think About: Look back over the past year. How have you seen God’s faithfulness to you? Make a list.
Dig In to Prayer
· Pray that your kids’ hearts would be faithfully devoted to God as a response to seeing his faithfulness to them.
How Do I Stand Up to Satan?
TODAY’S BIBLE BASE
Bold Bible Truth
God is all-powerful. (1 Chronicles 29:11)
“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.” (Ephesians 6:10)
• God gives us armor and weapons to combat Satan. Ephesians 6:10-17