Unit 2: God Has a Plan
Jacob Steals Esau’s Blessing (Genesis 25:19-26, 27)
Bible Point: We can trust God.
“For the word of the Lord holds true, and we can trust everything he does.” (Psalm 33:4)
Can you think of a time things seemed to be going all wrong? You thought you were following God, but it wasn’t working out the way you thought it would.
Did you try to manipulate or control the situation so it’d turn back in your favor? How did that work out? Or did you trust God and watch things fall into place? In Jacob’s case, he and his mom made a big mess by manipulating the situation, yet God’s plan still prevailed.
Young children probably don’t have a vision of God’s plan for them. But they do know the difference between waiting and demanding something happen right now. Trusting God to carry out good things for them can offer immense comfort in a world where they have very little control.
God, I know you have perfect plans for me and for my family. Help me let go of control and let you carry out your plans—certainly you’ll do a better job of it than me. I trust you. In Jesus’ name, amen.
River Ridge Kids
Dig In to the Bible
· Read: Daniel 1
Classroom: My Large Group + Age-Graded Small Groups Classroom
· In This Passage: Daniel and his friends are working in the king’s palace while in exile. God gives them wisdom to handle a tough situation when the palace food they’re served goes against God’s plan for them. God is wise, and he helps us make wise choices.
· Bible Point: God is wise…
· Application: …so we make wise choices.
· Summary Verse: “For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?” (Isaiah 43:19).
· God is wise. As an adult, you might think your kids don’t face the kinds of tough decisions you do. But you’d be surprised at some of the tough stuff your kids have already faced! Help your kids see that because God is wise, he can pour his wisdom into us and help us make wise choices.
· Think About: What difficult choice or situation are you facing right now? Ask God for his wisdom.
Dig In to Prayer
· Pray that God would fill your kids with his wisdom.
Is It Ever Okay to Lie?
TODAY’S BIBLE BASE
Bold Bible Truth
God helps you make good choices. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
“The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth.” (Proverbs 12:22)
• Rahab lies and is rewarded. Joshua 2:4-6, 12-14
• Ananias and Sapphira lie and then die suddenly. Acts 5:1-11
• Why God values the truth. Ephesians 4:15; Proverbs 12:19; 2 Corinthians 4:2; Colossians 3:9